Fire at Greek Restaurant in Melbourne

A fire broke out at the Spitiko Greek restaurant on Park street in South Melbourne on Wednesday just before 3 pm.

The fire was reported to have been “out-of-control” and restaurant patrons were promptly evacuated from the premises as the fire brigade was called to the scene.

“There’s a significant amount of smoke coming from the building, we will be issuing a smoke warning and asking people to avoid the area,” a MFB spokeswoman said according to theage.com.au.

As of 3:30 pm there were at least six fire trucks battling the blaze and the fire remained out-of-control. By 4 pm the MFB issued a statement asking people to stay away from the area due to excessive smoke and asbestos that was in the building and said that there was no immediate threat to the community from the fire.

“There is currently no threat to the community, but you should continue to stay informed and monitor conditions,” the statement said.

“The area of Park Street and Perrins Street may experience smoke from the building fire. Emergency Services may remain in the area for the next few hours.”

There are no injuries reported from the fire at this time.